About 2-3 years ago my husband came back from his physical and told me, "I'm starting to have high cholesterol." Truth be told my cholesterol levels had been getting higher the previous couple years. I did a little research and we decided to change our breakfast habits. Previous to this we were eating cereal (and not the candy coloured sugary type), toast with peanut butter and jam, or a homemade breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese and ham. We landed on Oatmeal as our new and improved breakfast. Now I like breakfast to be mindless and easy to make, except for special occasions. My husband and I prefer our Oatmeal cooked to different textures, and usually eat breakfast at different times, so we microwave each of our Oatmeal separately. While my husband puts the same things in his Oatmeal daily, I like to mix it up, and almost three years in we both eat Oatmeal for breakfast almost every day. Both our cholesterol levels dropped with that change alone, which is like magic! It is so pretty sometimes I have a hard time eating it!
Here are a few flavour mixes to try if you are thinking of doing the same . . .
- Green apple, walnut, cinnamon, maple syrup
- Raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
- Raspberries, ground flaxseed and 1 tbsp of peanut butter (pictured below)
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter and 1 tbsp of honey- so easy to go a wee bit wild with my topping so I try and measure when they are high calorie ones
- Strawberries and blueberries
- Raisins, maple syrup and chopped almonds
- Homemade jam- I love raspberry with peanut butter or apple pie jam.
- Chopped bacon and maple syrup
- Banana and walnuts
- Coconut and pineapple
- Peanut butter and chopped bananas